Tips for Redesigning Your Site
The strategy behind your e-commerce site’s redesign is going to be dependent on a lot of factors, especially the cause behind the redesign in the first place. In light of that, there’s no one-size-fits-all guide to site redesigns.
There are, however, some general tips that are always good to keep in mind.
- Stay simple - It’s easy to overdesign a website. There is a lot of temptation to pepper your pages with images and cute graphics wherever possible. In reality, making use of that empty space will lead to better user experiences and also cut down on site loading time. The general rule of thumb is to keep clutter at a minimum and make sure your CTAs are popping.
- But not too simple - Keeping your site clutter free doesn’t mean it has to look basic. Find a way to make the site represent your brand in a visual way. Use interesting design and colors to make it your own in a way that tells the story of your company and your brand. Make it stick out from the competition and don’t be afraid to get creative.
- Provide visitors with a natural flow - Speaking of CTAs, they are a valuable tool to guide visitors to where you want them to be. For instance, feature new products in a way that doesn’t obstruct other product pages, but which provides an easy path to discovery for customers. The same goes for curated product collections. You want to use easily seen CTAs to provide a path for the customers to reach these places.
- Conduct usability testing - Usability testing is essentially having real people interact with your website and observing their behavior and reactions to the experience. At Avensia, we’re big proponents of using the data gathered through usability testing to get us closer to our clients’ end customers and understanding more of the “why” behind the data.
- A/B test - We can’t overstate the importance of testing things like color, design, layout, and CTAs. It might not seem like that big of a deal to you whether the CTA copy says “Get yours now!” or “Click here to get yours!,” but we promise that one option will perform better than the other. A/B testing will let you know which is the better choice, and can be used on pretty much every aspect of your site. You can even A/B test entirely different designs against each other. The results will steer you towards making UX-focused changes that are backed with data.
- Use social proof - A redesign is a great opportunity to add in social proof that gives your site credibility. Customer testimonials are always a great feature and they speak to new customers of your company’s legitimacy. If you have stats or numbers to show, for instance “300,000 products sold worldwide” or “4.8 star rating on BigReviewSite.com,” absolutely display them on your site. Retail is not a business for being humble.
Let Us Help With Your Redesign
At Avensia, we have teams of veteran digital commerce experts and design specialists who can help you redesign your e-commerce website in the most efficient way possible. We believe that the best way to boost your ROI is to give the customers the experience that they want, and we can help you figure out exactly how to do that.
Every business is different, so we’ll work with you to uncover the data and metrics within your own business to determine the best path for a redesign. We’ll even help you create your own e-commerce site from scratch in a way that gets you to market as quickly as possible.
Whatever your redesign needs are, we have the experience and the know-how to deliver a better bottom line. If you’re ready to take your e-commerce to the next level, feel free to contact us and let’s get the ball rolling.